A guide about memebership sites. Explores whether putting your best content behind a lock is a good idea. Explains how to launch a membership site and why it's not that easy.





Comments


Written by sharkinvestor
3861 days ago

Actually people are ready to pay for content that's focused and structured well so it saves them time digging in the sea of free information. I have been a member of a membership site once too. I don't regret the money spent, but I was there only for 1 month because I got enough info for that time. So it's actually not that hard to recruit members to try your stuff (just convince them it's good enough), but it's hard to retain them for long.

I know someone who has piano lessons membership site, $19 monthly, and has more than 1,000 members. No idea how long they stay in however.

Thanks for the comments mates.



Written by yoni67
3861 days ago

I just think that there is so much relevant information out there that is free that it's a bit silly to think that people are going to pay for members-only content. Our local online newspaper, the ________ offers about 95% of its content for free, the other 5% is for premium members who shell out 10$ a month. The stories in almost the exact same form are available elsewhere for free; who's gonna pay?

The other issue here is e-books. Everybody and their brother is now writing an e-book. They are usually about 30 pages long, more like a long article than a book and they're usually nothing more than a bunch of blog articles reformatted into an article.

My point here? Unless as Duncan says, you are a HUGE, known commodity, it is unrealistic, at least in my opinion, to think that people are going to pay. And i don't think the inclusion of an e-book is going to change anybody's mind.

Sorry if this sounds harsh...it's not directed at you...and it's just one person's opinion.

Yoni



Written by businessavante
3861 days ago

Don'tcha have to already be known for people to pay?



Log in to comment or register here.
Subscribe

Share your small business tips with the community!
Share your small business tips with the community!
Share your small business tips with the community!
Share your small business tips with the community!